Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Spreading in UMTS – Redundancy vs Capaci

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Prof

Spreading in UMTS always puzzled me as it seem to add redundancy and I thought its good for data recovery but bad for capacity. Now having some more experience here is how I think it works. Please correct me if I am wrong (example case of voice call):

Spreading -> Adds Robustness -> Lower power consumed for to establish call with acceptable quality -> More power available for other calls

So the more power available is actually the increased capacity we expect from 3G!

Wallis Dudhnath

3G / UMTS is based on spread spectrum (WCDMA) technology.
    It uses a pseudo random binary sequence to “spread” information to the assigned bandwidth.
    This helps to reduce on interference.

Prof

Thank you for your reply. I want to make sure that this reduced interference you mentioned actually is the gain in capacity; being able to setup more radio connections.

wallis dudhnath

3G / 4G / etc.. Networks are bandwidth and power intensive solutions.

The Radio access is based on WCMDA, OFDMA, MIMO-OFDMA, etc..

Spread Spectrum is at the core and uses techniques like DFT, FFT, etc..

You have to make the investment with the extra bandwidth and the required power.

3G and onwards are Power / Bandwidth Radio solutions. 2G / TDMA is good for Voice based applications. Multimedia / (I)IOT applications require a core spread spectrum access.

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.